Sunday, November 15, 2009

First impressions

I've never own a motorcycle before. In fact, I've never drove a motorcycle until two moths ago, when I took a 4 hour beginner course. I choosed the bike from reading magazines and reviews on the net. I didn't performed any test-drive on any machine (much due to my lack of experience and fear of some casual fatality).

(click to enlarge)
The price was one determinative aspect in the final choice. Compare to similar motorcycles, the SYM GTS 125 Evo is cheaper.
Also the looks... the bike is very beautiful, no? At least for those who like maxi-scooters, I believe it is.
And the technical reviews from magazines and fewer articles and posts on the net were also very positive.

So the choice was made... and yesterday my brand new bike was delivered...

With lot's of caution, some mixture of anxiety and a little fear, there I was trying the bike around the streets of my neighborhood. Very slow at first and then speeding it up a little. I drove it for an hour or so.

I loved the feeling of riding it. Felt really nice and secure.
Easily turned on the roundabouts, nice acceleration, nice breaks.
Very pleasant... for an rookie like me that is.
It seems that in comparison tests there are better scooters in every other aspect, but overall I was very satisfied with it. And that's what counts. :)

There are some minor issues nevertheless...

It's a very heavy scooter, 162kg (162 kilograms, 5714 ounces, 357 pounds). I mean, heavy. At least for me.
It's hard to turn when stopped. To enter and exit small spaces it will be a challenge... and I have to arrange a way, since my garage will be packed with 2 cars and the scooter (I know, my fault. But I never though it would be so difficult to turn on small places, specifically on the backwards mode).


(click to enlarge)
The other disappointing topic is not about the scooter it self... It's a mix of stupidity, distraction and beginner error. I also bought a great looking helmet, which I assume would fit onto the enormous space available under the seat. It doesn't. Just for a tiny little bit, but it doesn't fit. And since I made a very small scratch on the helmet, must probably the store will not exchange it for another. Damn.
Piece of advice: make a list of stuff you need to check prior to the moment of buy, and check it and recheck it on the store. This was a detail I remembered when first went choosing helmets, but due to last change switch totally slip my mind.
The space under the seat is really great, big, probably can fit two helmets, but be aware of the size, test them first if possible.

Unfortunately today started heavy rain... so I just stare at the scooter and did this blog...

4 comments:

  1. Hello!!

    Is your helmet a modular? If positive try opening a little bit of the face, and then try if it fits in your Sym.
    Posso escrever em português? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Indeed it's a modular helmet. I shall try it tonight. I'm still a rookie in this stuff. I'm using english because it's a universal language on internet, and I really want to reach as many persons as possible.
    Thanks for the advice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice article NMC! I enjoy reading it althought the photos ...! For a rookie like you my first advice in this rainy days, is to be very carefull with wet streets!(even worst is the mixture of dry and wet, you never know). For a motorcycle the ground/floor is of the most importance. Car riders mostly ignore this aspect of course! Go very slowly at your first rides on wet streets and always look down and forward! Não se pode mesmo escrever em português pois não ó NMC ? Never mind this way a have the chance to practice my writing english :)! (I was asking NMC if I could write in Portuguese since I know he understands this famous and rich language!) Born to ride ... at last ! Have a nice life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mr. Anonymous for the support.
    Mr. Amadeu, your tip worked :). I'll write a post on it, so it can help other rookies like me...

    ReplyDelete